Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Doesn't the bible say Do Not Judge...

I said to someone the otherday, Jehovah's Witnesses aren't christian, and their response was Doesn't the Bible say do not Judge leading to a tiny little argument Simultaneously a discussion was going on one of the techy mailinglists I'm subscribed to about what the definition of the christian is... And and what came out of the discussion from christian, atheists, etc. is that a christian is someone who says they are a christian, and who are we to say that they are not. Basically two points came out of this discussion and though i was upset at the first argument, it led to me reading the word, googling and chatting to stronger christian friends and getting a better understanding fo the concept of judging for myself.

The two points are:
1) What is a Christian?
2) Do not Judge? What does this mean?

Especially read the second point, this can clear up many a confusing coversation

1) What is a Christian (summarized a bit from my response on the mailing list)

Its funny how the bible has been removed from the definition. No wonder there is so many problems people have with Christianity. It's because any person who has said they are a christian we/or they define themselves as if they are christians, merely by saying it.

This is a direct contradiction to what Christ Himself says:

Matthew 7:15

15"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

The Bible speaks a lot about who you are rather than what you say. In the above scripture you can see there are fruits, in the same way I am a follower of Christ, not merely doing lipservice, but life service. (Like Third Day's Lifesong song)

Also if you want to speak about Christianity you have to reason according to the Word of God... Not from your own point of view, way of seeing it, if I'm going to speak about christianity to define or represent it, the bible has to be the basis from which I speak fron and live out.

Therefore if being a Christian means I say that I am a Christian because I call Jesus my Lord, then to that the Word responds saying that whoever calls him Lord,Lord must also do what he says.

Being a christian means I've accepted the Lord Jesus as both my saviour (confessing that I'm a sinner, that i'm messed up without him, that i cannot fix myself, and that I am bringing me and my whole life to him) and as my Lord (my master, my king, I do what he says, I try at least, there are fruits to what I speak cause I am working at coming in Line with what He has to say through his word). This is not easy or instant, but as 1 Pet 3: 15 indicates it begins in the heart, if in your heart you ar e bowed down and have set apart Christ Jesus as the Lord, your lifestyle will flow out of it.

2) Do not Judge? What does this mean?

A) Matthew 7 - Judging Others

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

B) 1 Corinthians 5
12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you.

C) Nice commentary about it.
http://www.biblegateway.com/resources/commentaries/index.php?action=getCommentaryText&cid=1&source=1&seq=i.47.7.2

Ok so about Judging... Firstly the definition or meaning of judging in the bible...Seeing as most who throw these words at you are saying that the Bible says we shouldnt judge, we need to look at it from the biblical perspective.

No.1 There is a difference between Judging and Pointing out the truth.

Judging in the biblical sense means to proclaim a judgement on, almost condemn, decide your fate. I cannot do that, that is God's Job. Stating the facts or the obvious or even evaluating something is not judging. If I say the word of God says Homosexuality is wrong, I am not judging you, I am stating the truth. In fact in that case it is not me who is condemning. The fact that I am disagreeing with your lifestyle is not a condemnation and my intention when disagreeing is not to condemn you because I seperate you from what you are doing. (ok used an extreme example but perhaps that is good. When I said that I didnt' wish you to go to hell, or that doesnt mean I love you any less, I am not condemning you. If I say Jehovah Witnesses aren't christians, I am not saying Jehovah Witnesses arent' christians they're all going to hell, whoop de doo, they claim to be christian, so i go to the word of God and see what a christian and according to that I made a statement/conclusion, as to say a judgement it is not for me to condemn anybody, esp. when I have my own problems.

However what the word does say in 1 Corinthians is that the bible says we shouldn’t judge unbelievers but we should judge believers. How do I judge them here, according to my opinion, No, according to the word of God. This means If I say I am a Christian, then another Christian can question , hold me accountable, ask me, point out things in my life which are contradictory to the word of God. I cannot do that for a non believer because they have not chosen this way of life,to be a Christian and submit their life to God and live according to the word.

Also judging has to do with motives as well. The heart,in fact a lot of the bible has to do with the heart, I can call you an unbeliever because of what I see in your life according to the bible, and condemn you (in this sense judge you), I think this is the judge you are referring to Or I can call you an unbeliever based on what the word says and continue to love you, pray for you and perhaps be proven wrong. Two people can say the same thing but what their motive or response it makes a big difference.

For e.g to be a practicing medical doctor there are some qualifications you need to go through, some standards to adhere to. The same goes with Christianity.

Ok perhaps everything I said here isnt politically correct. What matters here that it is biblically correct, and as I am claiming to be a christian, you are most welcome to hold up what I have said in line with the word of God.

But to summarize:

1) Saying doesn't mean being. As your heart submits, fruits will be recognized in your life and that should be the evidence of being. (THIS DOESNT MEAN we are perfect, but it does mean we continuously work out our salvation)

2) Judging isn't Speaking the Truth. If I point out the facts, I am doing just that Pointing out the facts. If I am judging you I add to the pointing out of the facts a judgement, I condemn you. Here again it's not so much what I am saying but the heart with what i am saying you. People can in the same sentence either Judge or Speak truth, but it depends on what I am doing in my heart towards you

3) If someone claims to be a believer you can judge, hold them accountable, rebuke, challenge etc. according to the WORD of God, not your own reasoning, or extra traditions, but inline with the word of God. This is for believers, or for people who claim to be. ;) Again this is a touchy one, look at your own life, watch your motives, speak the truth in love, if it's not in love don't say it...or wait till it is in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment