Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Job...

I blogged on Esther the other day, but then it didnt save the draft and the computer bombed when I tried to post it but will have to update all the previous books a next time. But just want to blog my current readings and observations. Began Job last night. And just read chapter 1. and then so far today 2 - 4.

But anyway...let me share my revelations about Job so far...

Before Job, what God has really been impressing on my heart was the difference between EVERYBODY and the people that were after God's heart and the measure of how much they followed and wanted all of God's ways to be done was the measure of in a sense His kingdom coming... Like in Kings/Chronicles. There were some who did God's will (or as the word says they followed in the ways of their father david) BUT they did not remove the high places, so you'd see that their children or grandchilren end up serving idols...and then there were those who wholeheartedly served God and went on to change the whole community as well... but then at sometimes for some pride crept in etc, and for others they stayed on the path... But for me reading that God really impressed his pattern and ways, it was about dependancy on God in everything and in every season of life, not just some of the time but all of the time (king solomon was some of the time and it lead to the splitting of the kingdom)...

So I read Ezra and Nehemiah and Esther (will blog about that shortly) and this sense of really seeking God's face, favour,etc, is still strongly impressed. for success in terms of being the person God wants. And then I get to Job...


Job1

1 In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. 2 He had seven sons and three daughters, 3 and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East.

...

8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

(Even God considered Job to be one of his best servants at the time...!)

Job was already living the right life, and had all that he valued taken away from him, from his children, his animals, and later his health. What was his response.

20 At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship 21 and said:
"Naked I came from my mother's womb,
and naked I will depart. [c]
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised."

22 In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing

So before this I was saying that to live right and to be the child of God God wants me to be I need to seek him, I need to live blamelessly, etc.etc. But then along comes Job who is doing all of that already, and yet it didnt mean life was perfect...But even when disaster hit and everything fell apart for him, his response

was still worship. May the name of the Lord be praised. Regardless of what was happening and losing everything He still worshipped God.

This bible reading is really teaching me what God wants from us. I cant say I am even close to being where I should be but I thank God for His ways and teaching me through His word and His spirit for working in me the character that I desire...

No comments:

Post a Comment